Comments

Sunday, May 19, 2013

1.3.2 RAM / Memory Selection

Posted by at Sunday, May 19, 2013 Read our previous post

RAMs are cheap and it's one of the components which you can upgrade easily. I'll start with 8GB DDR3 and upgrade to max 16GB if necessary. A stick of Kingston PC 12800/1600MHZ DDR3 CL11 8GB from SLS (IT Mall) costs me $75. With $268 left in my shopping fund, let's move on to the next component.


Mini Saga - 1333 or 1600?
I got a mini tale to share when I was in SLS (IT Mall) buying the RAM.


RAMs are widely available from most shops in SLS (IT Mall).  Browsing around, I strolled into Best B******, went up to the shop keeper and said that I wanted to get a stick of Kingston DDR3 8GB. He asked what motherboard am I using and I replied, "ECS NM70-I2". The shop keeper then did a quick check on the manufacturer's website which stated DDR3 1333 and he passed me one stick of the same specs. Looking at the pricelist, I noticed both DDR3 1333 & 1600 are selling at the same price. I pondered on the spot before telling him I wanted the 1600. The shop keeper reacted with a frown and warned that if 1600 doesn't work, he's not gonna change for me. I shrugged my shoulders and questioned why it wouldn't work? I am confident that running the memory at lower speed wouldn't bite, thus I insisted my pick.

The analogy is simply, let's assume you want to buy an Audi. You step into the showroom and the sales person tells you that there are 2 variance for that Audi model you wanted to buy - one is speed capped at 180km/hr while the other is 220km/hr, both selling at the same price. Which one do you pick? A no brainer question. Of course the 220km/hr even if the speed limit in Singapore is 90km/hr. Or do you worry that the 220km/hr model will breakdown if you drive at 90km/hr? You got the answer =)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Build Your Own NAS (BYON) is powered by Blogger - Best view with Firefox / Chrome on a desktop